Of course, not everyone understands that, and sometimes that lack of understanding comes across in the form of
2. Wait...so he doesn't make any money? Crazy thing, with the 80+ hours a week my husband works at the hospital and studies, he doesn't have a second job. I know, I know, what a bum he is.
3. Loans are such a bad idea. So is giving unsolicited financial advice.
4. How do you even live like that? <-- WHAT IS THIS QUESTION?! Why do I hear it so much?!
5. "So are you like, poor?" There can only be two outcomes to this. Either we are, and it's offensive that you would comment on it, or we aren't, and it's offensive that you would think so. You should just always skip this question.
6. You guys must have so much free time since he doesn't have a job.
8. Why didn't you just wait until after med school to get married? I don't know...love, maybe? Let's just go ahead and say that if someone is already married, you should probably never, ever ask them why they got married.
9. It must be so nice to never have to go to the doctor! On the days I'm feeling feisty (ahem, every day), I'll ask them if they've ever seen anything on TV about someone who was not a doctor, but kept a full stash of prescription drugs in their house...they say yes, and it's almost always a 60 Minutes or a documentary on a serial killer their talking about. So there's that.
10. So do you like, make tons of money?
Honorable mention: I had already written this post, but I was just in the elevator and someone asked me: "So do you just sit at home and wait for med school to be over, for like four years? You just sit there?"
. . . .
Thank you, kind stranger. I now have the perfect ending for my blog post.
Do you ever get "interesting" comments about what your significant other does?